Saturday, April 2, 2011

HAS ANYONE SEEN MY UMBRELLA?

PHOTO SOURCE: JAPUNDIT

As I work on the new Wet & Wendy- Umbrella Identification Service (UIS)
I sit in admiration for Japan, once again as I have done many times of late.

A 1300 year old law states that any property found in Japan, must be handed into authorities within seven days. Unbelievably this means that the central Tokyo lost and found office spans four massive floors and the 30+ officers working there must label and catalogue every item.

To put the honesty policy into perspective, In the year of 2005, 94.7% of all mobile phones reported lost in the city were returned to their rightful owners.

Up to 300,000 lost umbrellas are kept at any one time, making it by far the most common lost item in Tokyo. Umbrellas take up one entire floor and sadly are also the least claimed item with only 0.3% returned to the hands of their surely drenched by now- owners.

I think I can see my lost green umbrella in there, its on the right...at the back.

WET & WENDY

No comments:

Post a Comment