Thursday, May 19, 2011

VERY SUPERSTITIOUS


A few of us got talking last night about superstitions. Im one of those who grew up never putting shoes on the table, always throwing spilt salt over my shoulder and my mother would have a fit if she heard the click of an umbrella indoors.

I have opened a lot of umbrellas indoors lately.

I have found that this superstition dates back to the Ancient Egyptians.
Umbrellas were used by Egyptians to protect themselves from the sun, and opening an umbrella indoors was seen as an insult to Ra the Sun God who it was feared would punish you with terrible luck.

And so, for thousands of years, the panic and guilt of opening an umbrella indoors has been passed on by the types of grandmothers we can all relate to. I am fortunate enough to be in the umbrella business myself, and with samples flying around all over the place needing to be opened,  I am now exempt from any such bad luck and removed this superstition from my memory, it's very liberating you should try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment